Welcome to Joylandia, my tifle blog.

Wednesday, March 29, 2006

Mooing around in MundoHispano

Exploring the Spanish Language Moo was really interesting. It was a little confusing downloading the software, but I finally got into the MOO. It is huge (as far as I can tell) and people from all over the world are involved in adding to it. I spent a lot of time at the "tourist office" my first visit, learning the commands I could use, how to get around, what my options and possiblities were, etc. This is a neat construction because you can also speak English and read instructions in English if you are totally lost. This first visit I went to La Puerta del Sol, La Calle Acala, the Internet Cafe and the "Newbie Room" in Madrid (the Moo's homebase). I stayed in Madrid this first time and didn't do much but look around. Every one I saw (few people) were all dormidos -- asleep!

The second time I entered the MOO, I traveled outside Madrid, to some ski slopes, but I didn't figure out how to actually ski. When people build their own little rooms or places, they have a whole other set of instructions that are sometimes hard to find. I also went to someone's house and wrote on a "tablero". Every one I found in the blog, like the first time, was "dormido".
My final time in the MOO was the most fun, probably because I knew a little more about how to move around. I went to a bar, saw and pet a parrot (it bit me), and even went to Guanajuato, Mexico on a MOOtour. While in Gto, I went to the Callejon del Beso (right by where I used to live!) and a gift shop to look at teddy bears. That was cute. Back in Madrid I went to a park and read some poetry by Pablo Neruda on the graffitti wall.

At first I was skeptical about using the MOO in class, but now I think it could definitely work. I think it would have to be a pretty advanced class, however, so they wouldn't get completely frustrated. Ample intro activities would be needed like a "demo" by the teacher, a sheet of commands, etc., and I think that students could work in groups. Two activities I thought of: a scavenger hunt, where students have to go to certain places, write a message on a bulletin board, find a gift, etc. (like we did in TIFLE class) or a race where students have to try and find a certain place and the first ones to get there win. Students could also, if they can find people who are awake, speak (write) in TL and meet people from all over the world. Virtual meetings could be coordinated.

Even though complicated and hard to grasp at first, the MoondoHispano was fun and I think students would enjoy it. Besides, they are forced to use Spanish to get results, which is always motivating and rewarding for them.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home